Remember The Milk, a task-organizing app created in 2004 by Australian entrepreneurs Emily Boyd and Omar Kilani, has been helping individuals keep track of their daily to-do lists for nearly two decades. With its simple and user-friendly interface, it’s no surprise that the app has become popular among busy people who desire better goal-setting, prioritizing, time management, and organization.
The app not only allows you to ‘never forget the milk,’ but it also provides several features to prevent you from forgetting other critical tasks. With customizable reminders that can be sent via email, text, IM, Twitter, and mobile notifications, those with packed schedules can breathe easy knowing they’ll be reminded of tasks throughout the day. The Remember The Milk app even offers sharing functions, enabling users to collaborate on tasks and lists with others, making it an ideal choice for both personal and household use.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the Remember The Milk app, discussing its features, usability, and whether upgrading to the Pro version is worth the investment. By delving into the app’s various aspects, we aim to help you determine if Remember The Milk is the right task-organizing solution for your needs.
Remember The Milk Overview
Remember The Milk is a powerful task-organizing app designed to help users with aspects like goal-setting, prioritizing, time management, and organization. Some of its key features include:
- Ability to create and manage tasks and lists
- Setting start and due dates
- Recurring tasks
- Prioritizing tasks with different levels of urgency
- Organizing tasks into sublists and projects
- Integration with other popular apps
The app is especially useful for users with executive functioning issues and can be utilized by both parents and responsible teens alike (users must be at least 13 years old).
Remember The Milk is a cross-platform app, making it accessible and easy to collaborate on multiple devices and operating systems. The app is available on the following platforms:
This wide range of accessibility allows users to manage their tasks from various devices and ensures that their lists remain synced and up-to-date. Whether you intend to use it for personal tasks or for teamwork, Remember The Milk has you covered, making task organization and collaboration efficient and streamlined.
Creating an Account
To create an account on Remember The Milk (RTM), visit their website or download the app on your device. You can use your email address to sign up, and you will need to verify it before accessing all the available features. Once your account is set up, you can start organizing your tasks and lists.
Setting Up Tasks
Adding tasks in RTM is simple. Click the “Add Task” button to open the task input field. You can include the following information for every task:
- Task name
- Due date
- Priority (Low, Medium, High)
- Tags (for organizing related tasks)
You may also add notes and assign tasks to other Remember The Milk users when using the Pro version of the app.
Organizing Tasks with Lists and Tags
To keep your tasks organized, RTM allows you to create lists and assign tasks to them. Lists can be project-based, topic-related, or even sorted by due dates. Here’s how to create a list:
- Click the “Add List” button
- Enter the list name and click “Create List”
- Drag and drop tasks into the appropriate list
Using tags is another way to categorize your tasks. Simply add a tag while creating or editing a task, and you can filter tasks using the “Tags” view.
|Formatting Examples||Action Required|
|About Page Content||Due Wed, Priority: Medium, Tag: website|
|Grocery Shopping||Due Sat, Priority: Low, Tag: errands|
Remember The Milk’s flexible features make it simple to set up your tasks, lists, and tags, streamlining your workflow for better productivity.
Integration and Compatibility
Remember The Milk is well known for its compatibility and integration with various productivity tools. In this section, we will discuss its integration with Google Calendar, Evernote, and Gmail.
Remember The Milk can be seamlessly integrated with Google Calendar, allowing users to view and manage their tasks directly through their calendar. To connect, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the Remember The Milk app settings.
- Choose the “Services” tab.
- Click on “Google Calendar.”
- Follow the instructions to connect your Google account.
Once connected, your tasks will be automatically synced, and you can effortlessly view and edit them within your calendar. This integration allows users to keep track of their tasks and deadlines more efficiently.
Remember The Milk also provides integration with Evernote, a popular note-taking and organizing app. To connect, follow these steps:
- Go to the Remember The Milk app settings.
- Select “Services.”
- Choose “Evernote.”
- Follow the instructions to link your Evernote account.
By integrating with Evernote, you can create tasks in Remember The Milk directly from your notes. This convenient feature allows users to maintain an organized workflow and ensures that no important tasks are missed.
Lastly, Remember The Milk can be easily connected to Gmail, allowing users to manage their tasks directly from their email inbox. To integrate, follow these steps:
- Install the Remember The Milk browser extension for Chrome or Firefox.
- Log in with your Remember The Milk account.
- Go to Gmail and click on the Remember The Milk icon in the upper right corner.
- Authorize the connection between your Remember The Milk account and Gmail.
This integration enables users to create tasks from emails, view tasks related to specific emails, and quickly access their to-do list without leaving their email client, significantly increasing productivity.
Mobile and Desktop Experience
Interface and Usability
Remember the Milk (RTM) app offers a clean and intuitive interface that makes it easy for users to navigate and manage their to-do lists. The app uses color coding for different priorities and due dates, making it visually appealing and easy to understand.
Android and iOS Apps
The RTM app is available on both Android and iOS platforms. The Android app offers a similar experience to the iOS app, ensuring users have a seamless experience across devices. The app also offers an Apple Watch application for added convenience in accessing and managing tasks on your wrist.
Web and Desktop Apps
In addition to the mobile applications, Remember the Milk also offers web and desktop apps for Windows and macOS. These versions allow users to manage their tasks directly from their desktop, providing a consistent experience across devices. These applications include:
- Web App: Accessible from any modern web browser, useful for users who prefer working on their computers.
- Windows app: Available for download on Windows devices, offering a native application experience.
- macOS app: Similar to the Windows app, the macOS app caters to Apple users and offers the same features as the web and mobile versions.
The Remember the Milk app also provides offline capabilities for managing your tasks without internet access. These features include:
- Adding, editing, and deleting tasks: Users can manage their tasks even when they are offline. Once connected to the internet, the app syncs the changes with the server.
- Access to task lists: Users can view and interact with their tasks even without connectivity.
By offering both mobile and desktop applications, along with offline capabilities, Remember the Milk ensures users have a versatile and efficient experience in managing their tasks and to-do lists.
Pricing and Premium Features
Free versus Pro Version
Remember the Milk offers both a free version and a Pro version to cater to different users’ requirements. The free version is available for Android and iOS platforms and provides basic features needed for personal task management. However, the Pro version offers more advanced features, making it more suitable for those seeking additional functionality.
Some of the key differences between the free and Pro versions include:
- Pro users receive unlimited sharing options, whereas the free version has limitations,
- Subtasks are exclusive to Pro users,
- Reminders are more customizable for Pro users, and
- Pro users get priority support when needed.
The Pro version is priced at $25 per year, while the free version can be enjoyed by anyone without any initial cost.
MilkSync is a feature available exclusively for Pro users. This functionality enables seamless integration of Remember the Milk with popular services like Google Calendar, Microsoft Outlook, and Apple Calendar. MilkSync allows for automatic syncing between these calendars, making it much easier for users to stay up-to-date with their tasks and deadlines.
Another premium feature available to Pro users is Advanced Sorting. This function offers users better control over their tasks by enabling them to sort them based on specific criteria such as due dates, priorities, and categories. This feature can help users stay more organized by presenting their tasks in a more structured manner, making it easier to focus on what is most important.
Overall, Remember the Milk provides various options for users, depending on their needs and budget. The free version is suitable for personal use, while the Pro version offers advanced features for those who require additional functionality and better control over their task management.
Competition and Alternatives
Remember The Milk is among many to-do list apps available in the market. Some popular alternatives include Todoist, Wunderlist, Any.do, and various other todo list apps. Each of these alternatives has its strengths and weaknesses, appealing to different users and their needs.
Todoist is considered one of the strongest competitors for Remember The Milk. It offers a clean interface with various features, including subtasks, integrations, and custom labels. This app is known for its robust organization capabilities and flexibility for users to manage their tasks in the best possible way.
Before being replaced by Microsoft To Do, Wunderlist was a popular choice among users. It was highly regarded for its simple design and user-friendly experience. Wunderlist allowed users to share lists, set reminders, and collaborate on tasks. However, since its acquisition by Microsoft, it is no longer available for new users.
Any.do is another to-do list app that competes with Remember The Milk. This app provides an intuitive user interface, along with features like shared lists, reminders, and cross-platform support. Any.do also includes unique functions like ‘Moment,’ a daily planner tool that helps users prioritize their tasks.
Other Todo List Apps
There are numerous other options in the todo list app market, each catering to specific needs and offering unique features. Some notable examples include:
- Trello: Known for its board-based layout and integration with various project management tools, Trello is excellent for organizing tasks and collaborating with teams.
- WorkFlowy: Popular for its minimal design and straightforward approach to task management, WorkFlowy is a solid option for those looking for simplicity.
- Quire: Offering unique visualizations for organizing tasks and managing projects, Quire stands out with a powerful yet user-friendly interface.
In summary, Remember The Milk faces solid competition from various alternatives in the to-do list app market. Each option has its unique features and appeals to users with different preferences and needs.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Pros of Remember The Milk
- Productivity: Remember The Milk (RTM) is a task manager that helps users improve their productivity by organizing tasks, setting priorities, and tracking deadlines.
- Collaboration Options: The app offers sharing options at no cost, making it suitable for household and team use. Users can easily delegate tasks and collaborate with others.
- Location-Based Reminders: RTM provides location-based reminders, allowing users to receive notifications based on their geographical location. This feature is particularly helpful for tasks that need to be completed in specific places.
- Get Things Done (GTD) Methodology: The app supports the popular GTD methodology, enabling users to efficiently plan, manage, and execute their tasks in a systematic manner.
Cons of Remember The Milk
- Task List Interface: Some users find the task list interface to be overwhelming or cluttered, which can make it difficult to navigate and manage tasks.
- Pro Version Pricing: Although RTM offers free collaboration options and basic features, the Pro version, which unlocks extra features, is considered expensive by some users.
- Learning Curve: New users might experience a learning curve when first using RTM due to its numerous features and options. This may require some time and patience for users to fully grasp its functionalities.
Remember the Milk is a versatile and user-friendly task-organizing app that can be helpful to a wide range of users. Developed by Australian entrepreneurs Emily Boyd and Omar Kilani in 2004, this app is suitable for both personal and professional use, assisting individuals in managing their day-to-day tasks and improving overall organization.
The app supports multiple platforms, ensuring accessibility on various devices and seamless synchronization. Its intuitive features cater to individuals with executive functioning issues such as goal-setting, prioritizing, time management, and organization. Remember the Milk offers a free version with some sharing options, making it ideal for household use.
While the free version is sufficient for many users, the Pro version of the app unlocks additional features. However, it’s worth noting that the Pro version can be on the expensive side. In terms of teamwork capabilities, Remember the Milk can effectively help organize tasks and boost team productivity. The app’s integrations with other apps and services make it even more useful for users looking to centralize their work and task management in one place.
In summary, Remember the Milk is a powerful and feature-rich to-do app that fulfills a variety of needs for individual and team users alike. Its cross-platform availability, user-friendly interface, and robust functionality make it a valuable tool for enhancing productivity and staying organized in today’s fast-paced world.